If you wish to properly care for your smile, you’ll need to assess oral health risks that you may have and make the necessary changes to keep your teeth and gums safe. If you do not routinely take care of your teeth and gums, you may slowly begin to suffer from damage that can progress over time. Furthermore, it is important to always look for any forms of damage that may be arising and eliminate them as necessary. One common symptom to look for is bruxism, which occurs when you grind your teeth. Here are some of the signs and symptoms you may want to be on the watch for:
– If you experience any tight jaw muscles, facial pain or soreness, it could be the result of bruxism.
– If you have increased tooth sensitivity and your tooth enamel looks worn down or flat, and you are unsure of how the damage is occurring, it could be linked to sleep disorders such as sleep bruxism.
– Often times, when people suffer from bruxism, they chew the inner linings of their cheek. If you have any damage to the insides of your cheek, visit our dentist for treatments.
– Visual indications of bruxism may include flat teeth that may have been chipped or cracked, and you aren’t sure how the damage occurred.
– Strange markings on your tongue are often a sign of bruxism.
– If you have pain that feels like an earache, but it does not originate in your ear, or if you have a dull headache that originates in your temples, it may be linked to bruxism.
Are you suffering from bruxism? If you would like to consult with a dentist in Davidson, North Carolina, you are welcome to contact Dr. Michael B. Wilhite and our team about bruxism to improve your smile. To schedule an appointment at our dental office of Davidson Cosmetic & Family Dentistry, call 704.987.2277.