A dental crown is a custom-made cap that is placed over a tooth to restore its size, shape, and strength. Porcelain dental crowns are made to match the color of your natural teeth. Dr. Michael B. Wilhite may recommend a dental crown in Davidson, North Carolina, to perform the following functions:
- Protect a weak tooth from breaking
- Hold together parts of a cracked tooth
- Restore a tooth that is already broken
- Restore a tooth that is worn down
- Cover and support a tooth with a large filling
- Anchor a dental bridge
- Cover irregularly shaped or discolored teeth
- Cover a dental implant
- Make a cosmetic modification
Before placing a crown, our dentist may take X-rays to check the roots of the tooth for decay. If the tooth has lots of decay, if there is risk of infection, or if there is risk of injury to the tooth’s pulp, a root canal treatment may be performed. To prepare your tooth for a crown, a small amount of enamel is removed. This allows room for the crown in your smile. An impression of the tooth, and those above or below, is made so a custom crown can be constructed. When the crown is ready, our dentist will check the fit and color of the crown. Any necessary adjustments are made and the crown is permanently cemented into place.
Please call Davidson Cosmetic & Family Dentistry today to learn more and to schedule an appointment!