Your optimum smile often consists of making sure that all aspects of your oral health are taken care of. Beyond your teeth and gums, your jawbone also plays a key role in your oral health. Within your jaw lies your temporomandibular joints, also referred to as your TMJs. Your TMJs are extremely complex and require the use of other mechanisms within your jaw to chew food, speak, and open and close your mouth as needed. Due to the importance of your TMJs, they will need to be treated and cared for to lower your risk for a TMJ disorder.
Understanding the causes of TMJ disorders is important to make sure that you can provide the appropriate treatments. Common causes of TMJ disorders are as follows:
– bruxism, a condition in which you grind your teeth unconsciously
– routinely chewing gum when your jaw is already previously worn down
– issues associated with chewing on excessively chewy foods like steak
– arthritis in your mouth
– dislocations and misalignments with your jaw
– dislocations and misalignments with your teeth
If you are suffering from a TMJ disorder, various treatments can help alleviate pain or even reverse the condition, including the following:
– heat packs for alleviating pain
– ice packs for alleviating inflammation and swelling
– a diet that includes eating softer foods
– stress relieving practices including relaxing music
– jaw strengthening exercises
– night guards provided by your dentist
– bite plates provided by your dentist
If you are suffering from a TMJ disorder, busy your dentist so the appropriate treatment can be applied.
No matter the TMJ treatments you are in need of, Dr. Michael B. Wilhite and our team at Davidson Cosmetic & Family Dentistry are here to help you in every way we can. If you would like to set up a TMJ risk assessment exam at our dental office in Davidson, North Carolina, please call us at 704.987.2277 to speak with a member of our team.