Are you not quite sure if you’re flossing correctly? If so, we are here to tell you how to properly floss!
Flossing is an important task that is vital if you want the best oral health possible, and it is strongly recommended that you floss at least once a day. Doing so will free the food particles and plaque that are stuck on and between your teeth. So, to properly floss, please follow the following five steps:
1. Use about 18 inches of floss. Wind most of the floss around one of your middle fingers and wind the rest around the middle finger on the opposite hand.
2. Hold the floss firmly between your thumbs and forefingers.
3. Gently slide the floss between two of your teeth. Use a gentle rubbing motion and be careful not to snap the floss into the gums. This will damage the tissues.
4. When you begin flossing against the gum line, curve the floss into a “C” shape and gently slide it into the space between the tooth and gums. Clean the area by gently scraping the surface of the tooth.
5. Keep the floss tight against the tooth and rub the entire side of the tooth. Move the floss up and down the tooth and scrape as much debris off the tooth as possible. Repeat this method between each tooth and don’t forget to clean the back of your last tooth.
When you are done flossing, throw the string away and rinse your mouth with water. This will wash your mouth and rid any particles that slipped from your teeth onto your tongue.
If you would like more details on flossing or if you would like to know which flossing product is the best for your smile, call our office today and talk to a member of our caring dental team. We look forward to hearing from you!